Friday, February 25, 2011

Michael & Michele's Wedding Cake

A friend of my mom's recently asked me to do her wedding cake! I know right? Huge deal!! I think people were a little shocked at how at ease and confident I was with the idea of actually making a wedding cake. The bottom tier of the wedding cake is red velvet with cream cheese frosting, the middle tier was vanilla and fudge marble with a fudge filling and cream cheese frosting, and the top tier was a lemon cake with lemon curd filling and lemon cream cheese frosting. The cake is covered with a cream colored fondant and all accents were done in royal icing. The flowers on top were fresh flowers that matched those of the bride and the bridal party. I have to be honest, I have become increasingly critical of myself and my work and it took me a little while to really take a step back and like the cake. Seeing the bride's expression and excitement when she saw the cake was amazing. I think it really helped to put things in perspective for me; to realize that it is an amazing cake.

I had a lot of fun getting this cake together. Since my kitchen is the size of a cardboard box, I knew that I was going to need to use a larger kitchen with actual counter space. Rolling fondant to cover the bottom tier alone would have taken me a year in my kitchen. Luckily, my mother was willing to let me take over her kitchen for the day and make a mess. What a sous chef she turned out to be. All in all, this was an amazing experience and I hope to have many many more where this came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment